What is glaucoma?
Glaucoma is a leading cause of blindness in the U.S., accounting for approximately 12% of new cases of blindness each year. This eye disease affects about 3% of all Americans over the age of 65, and over half of those with glaucoma don’t know they have it. Glaucoma develops gradually, usually over several years, causing no pain and presenting only subtle symptoms that worsen over time. These symptoms include blurred vision and loss of peripheral (side) vision and inability to adjust your eyes to darkened rooms.
Glaucoma is a disease of the optic nerve, which delivers images to the brain. The pressure from aqueous inside the eye is exerted on the optic nerve and this pressure over time harms the optic nerve in susceptible patients. Although glaucoma can damage your eyesight, early diagnosis and treatment helps to minimize the vision loss and maintain your vision. Early detection and early intervention are key factors in successful treatment outcomes.
Trust complete, high-tech glaucoma care from Reno’s area leaders
At Eye Care Professionals, our doctors use today’s most advanced diagnostics to detect glaucoma at its earliest stages. If you are diagnosed as having glaucoma, we will recommend treatment based on your individual needs. And as area leaders in glaucoma care, including glaucoma laser surgery, we offer the complete range of state-of-the-art treatment options, including:
- Medical management – A variety of prescription eye drops can help reduce intraocular pressure.
- Endocyclophotocoagulation (ECP) – We can use light energy to alter the rate of fluid production in the eye. Dr. Mills introduced this procedure in Reno.
- Selective laser trabeculoplasty (SLT) – Using laser energy, we modify the eye’s draining apparatus to increase fluid outflow. We were among the first to perform the SLT procedure in Reno.
- Transciliary Filtration (TCF) – We use a plasma blade to create a micropore to drain fluid. We introduced this short, high-tech procedure to Reno.
- Micro-Invasive Glaucoma Surgery (MIGS) – Dr. Mills was the first surgeon in Northern Nevada to perform both the iStent as well as OMNI surgical procedures for glaucoma treatment. We specialize in these and other forms of less invasive glaucoma surgical interventions. In some select cases these procedures may result in a reduction or removal of daily eye drops being required.
Protect your eyesight from the “silent thief” of vision. Trust our advanced methods, vast experience and a tradition of excellence in Eye Care. Call Eye Care Professionals today.