How Skin Revitalization Works
Icon™ utilizes optimized pulsed light technology which, unlike lasers, uses many wavelengths of light with special filters that deliver the best wavelengths to treat specific aesthetic conditions. As the handpiece glides over the area being treated, specialized pulses of light are delivered into your skin and target brown spots, sun-damage and vessels without causing harm to the surrounding skin. Once these targets absorb the energy they are destroyed and will slowly disappear through your body’s natural healing process. You will see your brown spots turn darker in color and flake off over the next few weeks. You may also see an immediate improvement in your vessels with a continued clearance over the next few weeks.
What To Expect On The Day Of Treatment
Before the optimized pulsed light handpiece is used, a gel is applied to your skin where you will receive treatment. You will also be provided eye shields to protect yourself from the light during treatment. The treatment will begin with the provider guiding the Icon™ handpiece over the treatment area. You will feel cooling while the handpiece is gliding over the treatment area to provide a comfortable session. You may also feel a slight rubber-band like snapping when the energy is being delivered into your skin which disappears almost immediately however, a warm sensation after the treatment is common. Depending on the size of the area, treatments can take just minutes.
After the treatment, the gel will be removed and a cooling roller may be applied to your skin. Bandages and ointments are not necessary due to the nature of the treatments being so minimally invasive. For a few days after your treatment, you may feel like you have a mild sunburn but can resume your normal day to day activities immediately following treatment.
If you are a laser skin revitalization patient, please be aware of the following:
- Remove all make-up and lotions prior to the treatment.
- At least 4 weeks prior to your appointment, discontinue unprotected sun exposure, tanning beds and tanning creams on the areas receiving treatment.
Post Treatment Instructions For Skin Revitalization
- Immediately after the treatment, it is common to feel a mild sunburn-like sensation around the treatment site, which typically lasts 2-24 hours. Redness and/or swelling may accompany this and usually resolves in 2-3 days.
- Avoid sun exposure on the treated area and use a sunscreen SPF 45 or greater at all times throughout the course of treatment.
The pigment may initially look raised/darker with a reddened perimeter. The pigment will gradually turn darker over the next few days and begin crusting and eventually flaking off of the skin from day 7-21.
- The vessels may undergo immediate graying or blanching, or they may exhibit a slight purple or red color change. The vessels will fully or partially fade in about 10-14 days.